a brief history
(from what I remember)
Background:
Adrian Heapy Studio, Belper. 8,000 sq ft studio in the centre of Belper offering two studios, one which is large enough for room sets to be built in. They do product shots - jewellery, food and furniture - as well as location portraits. Adrian started in photography at 16 whilst working in a bar in Spain then moved into press photography when returning to UK. His client come from all over the UK and come to him for his ability to turn their investment in him to capture their products into an enormous return on investment.
Equipment:
It seems to me that Adrian either uses equipment he has had for years because he likes the results he gets from them and how to fix them and to keep them going right across to brand new equipment to keep him up to date and on top of the developments in the industry. Kieron has a thorough understanding of photoshop and how to finish the images.
Workflow:
Workflow is logical and precise and it is essential that an excellent and well followed routine for backing up work and client information is established. To burn everything to 2 CDs and have one on site and the other safely stored off-site is an excellent and well thought out system to accomplish this.
Photoshop:
It is clear that the work produced by the studio would not be suitable for clients without the judicious intervention from photoshop. Adrian even leaves items messy on the set knowing that it will be easily spotted and rectified in photoshop.
Portfolio:
It is essential for a photographer to have examples of his work. It is very difficult to get clients to offer copies of brochures and leaflets that your work appears in but it is essential that you have them so that you can show off your work to future clients visiting students!
Clients:
They are fickle but they trust you. You need to keep them on track but be willing to bend and adjust as their ideas and requirements form. This can slow down a job and can sometimes means one can be cancelled. Some clients can go bust in the time you are working for them - you need to protect yourself from this with insurance, credit checks and common sense. Some clients will ask for test shots and then use them even though they are tests. You need to have a keen eye for your own work to ensure that it is not misused. Keen sense of copyright issues, clear instructions regarding infringements of use should be on your website and you should also have a good solicitor that understands the law relating to this. Copyright remains a mess and difficult to understand but a good solicitor will be able to help.
(I am not going to recount some of the stories Adrian told us as this is a public blog and I do not want to get him into trouble - I have therefore described things in general terms without specifics).
Roomsets:
It seems to me that being a photographer in this particular studio is the smallest part of what you need to be and do. Chippy, plumber, electrician, painter and decorator, project manager, an A-Z knowledge of local businesses to call upon, accountant, financial advisor, DIY store, builder, creative.
Reflection:
In a way this type of large scale photography might put some people off (I do hope so) but for me I find that exciting. Knowing that photography will mean I can be creative in so many other areas is very exciting to me. I do not want to do the type of work that Adrian does but I do know I am creative in the way I deal with people, generate ideas, deliver ideas and complete projects - and sometimes this all happens without touching a camera.
I was amazed that in creating all the photography for the cookbook Adrian and his team had to buy and cook all the recipes. I had assumed that the client would have turned up with all this themselves! This has intrigued me.
I picked up some many ideas from this visit I am starting a new note book just to get them all written down.
I had a lot of my business ideas and thoughts reinforced by Adrian. I know how important it is to deal with clients in a way that means they will come back for more; I know that you need money before you hand over images (I have learnt that the hard way); I know that I need to protect myself with knowledge about the law and also insurance; I know that I have to charge at a level that means I can survive and also continue to grow; I know that whatever I do this has to be fun and enjoyable.
In a way this type of large scale photography might put some people off (I do hope so) but for me I find that exciting. Knowing that photography will mean I can be creative in so many other areas is very exciting to me. I do not want to do the type of work that Adrian does but I do know I am creative in the way I deal with people, generate ideas, deliver ideas and complete projects - and sometimes this all happens without touching a camera.
I was amazed that in creating all the photography for the cookbook Adrian and his team had to buy and cook all the recipes. I had assumed that the client would have turned up with all this themselves! This has intrigued me.
I picked up some many ideas from this visit I am starting a new note book just to get them all written down.
I had a lot of my business ideas and thoughts reinforced by Adrian. I know how important it is to deal with clients in a way that means they will come back for more; I know that you need money before you hand over images (I have learnt that the hard way); I know that I need to protect myself with knowledge about the law and also insurance; I know that I have to charge at a level that means I can survive and also continue to grow; I know that whatever I do this has to be fun and enjoyable.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
No comments:
Post a Comment